Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Christmas - Parts 3 & 4

Okay, enough of this Christmas posting already! I promise that this one will be quick - I just don't have that many photos from the W family Christmas. We stayed with my family from Thursday evening until Sunday evening of Christmas week, and we had a wonderful time, as always. Lots of long, slow days with games and photos and late nights and great talks - oh yeah, and lots of LOUD, small children, but really, what fun would Christmas be without that? Yikealo had a ball playing with all of his cousins.


He had lots of quality time hanging out with his cousin Zavi (read: fighting over toys and arguing over Papaw's attention!) Those two are something else when they get together - they are both highly competitive, and they are frequently bickering about something, but they love to be with each other. David calls them "the photo negatives!" :-) Casey (Zavi's mom) and I decided that we'll have to be sure from now on to make sure that they get all the same toys at Christmas, because they MUST be doing the same thing at all times, and they just end up fighting over the toys that they don't have in common anyway.

At any rate, Yikealo ended up with lots of great little boy toys: combines, trucks and motorcycles. What more could you possibly want?

On January 1st, David and I celebrated our 15th anniversary - Yikes! It's hard to believe that it's been 15 years already, but it must really be true that time flies when you're having fun. We are blessed with an incredible marriage, and I am so thankful every single day that God brought David into my life. I could not ask for a more wonderful husband.

Then, last Thursday, we celebrated Yikealo's Ethiopian heritage with our own little "Ganna" supper. The Ethiopian Orthodox church observes "Ganna" or the birth of Jesus on January 7th, so I made shiro and injera (well, okay, so my injera was really just sourdough pancakes) for supper, and we all dressed in our traditional Ethiopian clothing. Very low-key, but still fun to remember. Yikealo was SO excited to eat shiro and injera again, as evidenced by all of the goofy faces, and he started jumping up and down and clapping when he saw his little Ethiopian outfit. He looked very handsome in it, I must say!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS- 15 years is AWESOME! I think that goofy grin means- I TOTALLY love my family!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, why did you only post pics of Yikealo in his authentic Ethiopian attire...what about you and David?? I want to see you in your attire too!

    ReplyDelete