Sunday, August 8, 2010

My Lompster can crap his fingers...

David here, as you no doubt guessed by the potty post. Sorry for that, but you'll see in a minute that it's not what you think it is.

I arrived home one day early this week to a darling... er, I mean ferocious... boy who viciously proclaimed through bared teeth: "I'M A LOMPSTER"...

Having just arrived home, I wasn't sure of the day's activities, which would have lent clues as to whether I was being faced by a vile monster or a dangerous lobster, but regardless, the proclamation ruined the intended effect.

Later in the week, and after trying for months, Y was finally able to snap his fingers for the first time and ran up with his excitement spilling over to proudly proclaim: "I can crap my fingers!" (snicker) Now I'm not sure what portion snap and what portion crack that represents, but it's just proof once again that he fits into my family perfectly.

Anyway, the real reason for the post, and the reason I'm just lovin' up my son so much is as follows:

I've known about the tragic accident in Steven Curtis Chapman's family since the time it occurred; I remember hearing of his daughter's death the day it happened and have prayed for their family and their continued witness. However, a reminder of this sad event came back to my life last week when Steven's song "Beauty Will Rise" got so stuck in my head -- the words are breathtaking... but that's not what I'm writing about either.

The music led me back to an interview the Chapman family did with Larry King and, from there, to the topic of this post: "Heaven is the Face."

Heaven is the face of a little girl
With dark brown eyes
That disappear when she smiles
Heaven is the place
Where she calls my name
Says, "Daddy please come play with me for awhile"


God, I know, it's all of this and so much more
But God, You know, that this is what I'm aching for
God, you know, I just can't see beyond the door
So right now


Heaven is the sound of her breathing deep
Lying on my chest, falling fast asleep while I sing
And Heaven is the weight of her in my arms
Being there to keep her safe from harm while she dreams


And God, I know, it's all of this and so much more
But God, You know, that this is what I'm longing for
God, you know, I just can't see beyond the door


But in my mind's eye I can see a place
Where Your glory fills every empty space
All the cancer is gone
Every mouth is fed
And there's no one left in the orphans' bed
Every lonely heart finds their one true love
And there's no more goodbye
And no more not enough
And there's no more enemy
No more


Heaven is a sweet, maple syrup kiss
And a thousand other little things I miss with her gone
Heaven is the place where she takes my hand
And leads me to You
And we both run into Your arms


Oh God, I know, it's so much more than I can dream
It's far beyond anything I can conceive
So God, You know, I'm trusting You until I see
Heaven in the face of my little girl
Heaven in the face of my little girl

I can't tell you how emotionally raw these songs have made me; the poignant lyrics hit a nerve and have taught me to weep and rejoice with the family all at once. They've also taught me to delight in the every day moments with my son...to share in his great joy over the smallest things.

So for all of you parents out there: take that Maple Syrup kiss from the messiest of mouths. Let your child fall asleep in your arms, read that book, play that game. Because there is no guarantee that you'll be able to do so tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Love that song - saw him perform it live at Women of Faith a year ago - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh David! You make me want to laugh and cry in the same post! Love the stories about Yikealo. Also, as I was reading this, I had kids crawling all over me being very loud, and I finally said, "Would you kids go DO SOMETHING AND LEAVE ME ALONE FOR A LITTLE BIT!!" Then, I read your last few comments.....Ok, I feel really bad now.....

    Love you guys!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete